Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Birth Story of Parker Reed Shearrer

Parker Reed Shearrer joined our family on July 9th at 2:05 p.m.  Here are all the details of his arrival.

I was induced once again because I was 3 days over due and my doctor gave me the option.  We went in at 6:00 in the morning to get started.  I got all hooked up and was 3 cm starting out and they started the pitocin about 7:30.  As soon as our nurse walked in that morning I was very excited.  She was the same nurse we had for Molly's delivery and she was awesome!  She remembered us and was surprised to see us back again so soon lol.  Dr. King came in about 7:45 and broke my water and told me I could have the epidural whenever I wanted it.  The nurses started the fluid so the anesthesiologist could come give me the epidural before things got busy that day in Labor and Delivery.  Meanwhile it sounded like a huge jet is landing on top of our room and it is so loud Clifton and I can't hear each other.  They are adding onto the hospital and the construction was extremely loud that day and they happened to be on top of us doing who knows what.  So much for the calm peaceful birth experience. 

I got the epidural and it didn't work at all.  I could still move both of my legs and once the contractions started I could feel everything.  The anesthesiologist came back and decided to give me a spinal to see if that would work and it did for about 2 hours.  It also made me itch all over but I would take the itching any day over the pain.  I could still feel the contractions but they weren't hurting as badly.  Then I really started feeling lots of pain around 12:00 and was miserable.  The contractions were coming one after another and I had no relief.  The nurse checked me about 12:30 and I was 5 cm at this point so I was glad to be making some progress.  The anesthesiologist came back and told me he was going to start over and give me another epidural.  This time he went up on my back and whatever he did worked.  Within 10 minutes I was completely numb and relaxed.  I felt like a new person and could finally read my magazines and I called my parents and told them to head to the hospital because I didn't think it would be much longer. 

Dr. King came in about 1:30 and I was starting to feel some pressure but was so numb I wasn't sure if what I was feeling was the baby or not.  I asked her to check me and she said it is baby time you are ready to push!  I was shocked that I went from a 5 to a 10 in an hour.  The nurses started coming in and setting everything up and they told me just to relax.  We were all talking and I actually was so calm this time and just excited about meeting our baby boy.  The nurses said they were going to get the doctor before I pushed at all because he was right there.  Dr. King walked in and after pushing through two contractions Parker was here!  He had the cord wrapped around his neck pretty tightly which was a little scary but he started crying and they put him on me immediately.  That is the sweetest thing seeing your baby for the first time it is hard to describe.  We were both in awe of our little miracle.  Clifton cut the cord and we were both thankful for a healthy baby boy!  They took him and weighed him and cleaned him up.  He weighed 8 lbs. 13 oz. and was 22 inches long.  I got to nurse him right away and he ate for 30 minutes. 

My parents and Deborah got to come in and see him for a few minutes before they took him to the nursery to get a bath and get checked out.  Everything went smoothly at the hospital and we were able to come home the following night.  We are so thankful and feel so blessed to have a healthy boy.  He is the perfect completion to our little family of 5.  It was hard leaving the hospital this time because I knew this was our last time to get to experience having a baby.  I think 3 is the perfect number for our family. 

Layton and Molly are both adjusting well to everything.  Layton has been a huge help and wants to hold and kiss on Parker constantly.  Molly on the other hand we have had to stress being gentle and explain to her that he is still little.  She is jealous at times but is doing really good at having to share Mommy.  Life is busy with 3 little ones but sure is fun.  I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I don't think I have ever been so sleep deprived in my life but I'm cherishing every day while we go through this newborn stage because I know it won't last very long.  I have a bunch of pictures to go through but here are just a few from Parker's birth.  This Mommy needs to go to bed before it is feeding time again :)

Heading to the hospital


 Our favorite nurse Tiffany.
 Proud Daddy
 Nana with Parker

 Grammy D and Parker
 Proud Papa
More pics to come when we all start getting more sleep around here.




1 comment:

  1. So sweet! Cannot wait to meet Parker. He's so lucky to have you as his mommy.

    ReplyDelete