Saturday, June 27, 2009

Clifton's First Father's Day and trip to pediatrician

Grammy D and Clifton watching Layton on Father's Day
Leslie and Mason
Grammy D and Layton
Clifton on Father's Day with Layton


We were so blessed to have Layton arrive just in time for Father's Day for Clifton. That was the best gift he has ever received! Unfortunately Sunday was a long day for me Layton only slept an hour Saturday night and I was exhausted. He wanted to nurse every hour so I just kept feeding him thinking okay maybe this will hold him over for at least 2 hours so I can get some rest and the cycle never ended he just wanted to eat and was wide awake all night. I was really discouraged and emotional all day on Sunday but I kept telling myself things will get better.

We did manage to get out of the house I was so ready to go somewhere even though I was beyond tired. We had lunch with my family at Daniel and Lauren's house and it was a nice break. Everyone held Layton while he slept so soundly. We enjoyed some yummy hamburgers and homemade ice cream. Clifton and Daniel entertained us with bowling and tennis on the Wii. That afternoon Deborah, Leslie and Mason came by for a visit and were so encouraging to me telling me it will get better. We also decided to move the swing out of Layton's room to see if he liked it and it put him to sleep right away. It was nice to get some fresh ideas of what might work for him. Layton was really fussy while they were here because I know he was tired but I enjoyed their company and seeing how big Mason is getting already. Layton has a lot of catching up to do. Sunday night he decided to start a great sleeping/feeding schedule. He made it from midnight until 4:30 I just laid in bed waiting for him to wake up so I could feed him and then he made it until 7:30. I never thought 3 hours of sleep could be so great!

Monday morning my mom and I took Layton to the pediatrician for his first check up. He weighed in at 8 lbs. 11 oz. so that was reassuring to me knowing that all the nursing was working he was gaining weight. He weighed 8 lbs. 6 oz. when we left the hospital on Thursday so he gained 5 oz. in 3 days. His jaundice levels were great and his circumcision had healed up nicely. The doctor told us how to treat his diaper rash which he started to get on Saturday. She assured me that he should be going at least 3 hours between feedings and I no longer needed to wake him up at night to eat since he was gaining weight. She told me lots of newborns nurse like that at the beginning to build up the milk supply so that made me feel better. After the doctor's appt. my mom and I ran to Target to get a few things I needed for him and then we went home. My mom was awesome and stayed at our house for the afternoon and watched Layton while I slept for 2 hours. Monday night I felt like a new person after having a great night and a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment