Sunday, January 16, 2011

Learning the Basics of Sewing



As I mentioned in an earlier post I got a sewing machine for Christmas from my mom and dad.  It is a very basic one but is really easy to use.  I wanted something very simple and then if I decide I really like sewing then someday I can get a fancier one.


My mom has so generously spent a lot of time with me over the past few days showing me all the basics of sewing.  I have had so much fun learning all the tricks and tips from her and I still have so much more to learn.  I started off by making two pillowcases so I could learn how to use my machine.  They turned out really cute.

I made a Thomas the Train one for Layton.



 This past Thursday my playgroup decided to host a diaper shower on Friday for Tawny one of my friends that is about to move away for her new baby boy that is due next month.  I decided this would be the perfect opportunity for me to make a home made gift.  My mom stayed up late with me Thursday night showing me how to make a baby blanket and burp cloths.  My mom also has a nice embroidery machine so she added his name to everything.  It was more work than I thought it would be but we had lots of fun doing it.  Since it was a gift I really wanted it to turn out nicely.


 Saturday afternoon I headed to my parents house with my sewing machine and Layton in the rain.  I was able to put Layton down for a nap at their house so my mom and I could work on another sewing project.  A couple of weeks ago we spent a few hours at Hancock Fabric getting me some supplies and material to make a few things and we found some cute corduroy fabric on clearance.  I knew I wanted to make a dress for my niece Kyleigh with it.  My mom showed me how to cut out a pattern and we finished the dress about 7:30 Saturday night.
 I can't wait for Kyleigh to wear it!
 Clifton was playing with my camera while I was sewing.
 My mom showing me how to make a onesie dress
 We made this last night too.  It was super easy!  I think I might add some ribbon and a flower on one side around the waist to dress it up a little.


After church today I was ready to tackle some burp cloths by myself so I set up one end of our dining room with all my stuff.  Thankfully Layton took a three hour nap this afternoon and I was able to finish 10 burp cloths.  I will just give them away to my friends that are having babies soon.  I realized that all of them look pretty girly so next time I go buy some material I need to make some that would work for boys too.
 Here are all the burp cloths I was able to finish today.

Thanks mom for all the time you have spent helping me.  I have really enjoyed learning about everything and hopefully I can sew like you do some day.

1 comment:

  1. Everything turned out really cute! I took a sewing class in the Fall and love it! The next item on my wish list is an embroidery machine. :)

    ReplyDelete