Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Recap of Twenty Ten and Goals for Twenty Eleven


I know I'm a little late on a New Years post but I've been filling my time up with more important things like going to bed earlier at night, getting up super early to work out, playing more with Layton before he goes to bed, spending time at home as a family and trying to learn how to sew.  2010 was a great year for our family and we have been blessed beyond what we could even imagine.  Clifton and I have gotten to watch Layton grow up so much and learn so many new things the past year.  He went from just saying dada and clapping his hands at this time last year to walking and talking non-stop.  He really has grown into a little person now and we are seeing more and more of his personality come to life everyday.  His new phrases he says quite often these days are "I don't think so or I think so" when we ask him a question.  He also tells me "Mommy I be right back" and then takes off into another room.  He is learning so many new words everyday I can't keep up with them anymore.  I just went through all of my pictures for 2010 and wow we have a lot of good ones that I will cherish forever but here are some of my favorite.

Favorite Pics of 2010  










































Let me update you on what Clifton and I have been up to lately since usually everything is all about Layton here on the blog.  Clifton has been extremely busy with his job lately which is a huge blessing.  He has two new agents in the La Vernia office working for him that are doing great and all of his agents in the Pleasanton office are selling lots of property right now too.  Being married to a real estate broker can be a little stressful at times because you have really good months and really bad months depending on how the economy is doing.  Thankfully the good have outweighed the bad this year and Clifton continues to love his job.  He has been working most weekends lately but I can't complain because I would rather him be busy than with nothing to do.  Our next project at the house that Clifton has been working on designing is our barn.  We have someone coming to start building it on Monday and we are both really excited.  Ever since we moved into the house we have been saving and hoping to one day build it next to the house.  I can't wait to have a covered place to park our cars soon and a place to store all of Clifton's tools and yard equipment.  I will post pictures of the progress once they get started.  Not much is new with me I'm still working at Energy Transfer in San Antonio as a SOX Auditor in the accounting department.  Our company is growing fast and we have so many new faces around the office.  I'm thankful to have an employer that still allows me to work a flexible (part-time) schedule of 35 hours Monday through Thursday.  I love my Fridays off so I can spend time with Layton.  I'm also trying to learn more about photography and have signed up for a Nikon photography class in Houston in February with Lauren.  I'm really looking forward to this.  My dad gave me his older Nikon camera this past summer and there is so much to learn.  I want to take better pictures so hopefully the class will help me.  I'm also learning how to sew.  My parents got me a sewing machine for Christmas so my mom has been helping me.  I'm excited to learn more and get better at it so I can start making gifts for my friends.  When Layton is napping or in bed at night I fill my free time up with those two things, working out, reading and trying to keep this blog up to date.  I don't really have much time for anything else but I'm enjoying this stage of life that we are in and am ready to see what God has in store for our family in 2011. 

Lets just say I've already taken on 2011 as a fresh start and I'm trying to improve in lots of areas as a wife and mommy.  Here are a few goals that I have set for myself this year.  I wanted to document them somewhere so I can look back on them as a reminder to myself throughout the year. 

1)    To be more patient with Layton I have to remind myself he is only 18 months old and it is my job as his mommy to teach him, discipline him and help him grow into a little person.  Sometimes I find myself getting frustrated with him so easily.
2)    To make the time everyday to have quiet time and spend time reading God’s word and praying.  I realize this is the only way to grow and become closer to Him but yet I put so many other things in my life that there isn’t time for the most important thing.  My sister got me a really neat daily devotional book for Christmas so now I have no excuses.
3)    To learn that it is okay if the house isn’t always clean and it’s okay if the laundry isn’t all washed, folded and put away at any given moment.  You see I’m a bit of a perfectionist and I want my house to be perfect I will stay up until all hours cleaning, doing laundry and picking up the house just in case someone stops by.  Very rarely do we have people stop by our house.
4)    To play more with Layton.  If he wants to play trucks then stop what I’m doing and just play with him.  He constantly asks me “Mommy come play?” and there are many times I feel like I have to go clean or cook dinner or do something else.  I should be giving him my attention because I know these days are flying by fast and he will only be little once.  I’m sure when he is a teenager I will be wishing he still wanted to play trucks with mommy.
5)    To stop trying to multitask all the time.  I’m really pretty good at it or so I like to think I am.  I always try to do way too much.  I should stop over committing myself and sit down and relax more.
6)    To take the time to spend one on one time with Clifton more often.  We usually stay up late talking at least one night a week just to catch up with one another but I really wish we made time to go to dinner by ourselves or see a movie every now and then.  Every time we go somewhere by ourselves it is usually a party or a wedding where we are with lots of other people.
7)     To live in the moment and stop trying to plan everything.  I love to plan for the future of our family and I need to appreciate what I already have. 

I think I have gotten off to a good start other than the fact it is 1:00 in the morning and I have to be at work at 7:30 in the morning.  Oh well at least I'm all caught up :) 

I got this verse from one of the blogs I read daily and I think this is a great verse to read at the start of a new year.

"The unfailing love of the Lord never ends! By His mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin fresh each day. I say to myself,"The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!"
-Lamentations 3:22-24

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I loved the recap of pictures! I totally understand why we are friends! I run a million miles an hour everyday too...it gets exhausting. I love your goal to slow things down, breathe, and enjoy the moments.

    I can't wait to see your first sewing project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me! I love how you set goals for yourself and after reading them I began to think of my children. I really REALLY need to set goals for myself this year and the 1st being to be more patient with my kids. The 2nd being to stop and enjoy playing with them more.....I too catch myself always trying to do something else instead of just letting it go and spend more time with them...as you said they are only little once. Thanks so much for reminding me of the important things in life! I am so lucky to have you as a sister-in-law but even more as a friend!

    ReplyDelete