Sunday, October 14, 2012

Be Strong

This week has been life changing and I can't even explain the emotions I have experienced.  I have gone from being shocked, scared, mad, devastated, thankful, weary, humbled, sad to just numb.   All I know is God's timing is perfect and this was all part of His plan.  Last Wednesday morning there was a reason I was running late to BSF with the kids.  I know God chose me to find Tommy on our road because He knew I could handle it and He knew how much I love and respected Tommy.  With all this I have been constantly asking God "What are you trying to show me through this?"  This whole ordeal has given me a new perspective on how fragile life really is and tomorrow is not promised for any of us.  I want to start living each day with purpose and try not to take any moments for granted with my family.  I have decided I want to be more intentional with my kids and my time with them.

This last week has also made me realize what a great family I am a part of because I married Clifton.  Seeing the turnout for the funeral was truly amazing and such a testament of what a neat person Tommy was.  He was a friend to everyone he met and would drop everything he was doing to help someone in need.  After experiencing this tragedy I can say I am so proud to have the last name Shearrer and belong to such a strong loving family.  A family that believes in God.  We all know that Tommy is up in heaven rejoicing with the angels and that is comforting.  He is in a much better place than all of us.  I know Sharon and the boys will get through this because our family will come together and love on them and support them through all the tough times ahead. 

I have been meditating on the scriptures below this week and every time I read them I am comforted knowing that He is our ultimate protector.

Isaiah 40:28-31  Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God,   the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary,and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength;   they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary;   they shall walk and not faint.

Isaiah 41:10  fear not, for I am with you;  be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you,  I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.


Joshua 1:9-11  Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”And Joshua commanded the officers of the people, “Pass through the midst of the camp and command the people, ‘Prepare your provisions, for within three days you are to pass over this Jordan to go in to take possession of the land that the LORD your God is giving you to possess.’”


Deuteronomy 31:6  Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”

Psalm 23:4  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,   I will fear no evil, for you are with me;   your rod and your staff,    they comfort me.

Romans 8:28  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

As you can imagine Layton has been asking tons of questions about heaven after everything that happened on Wednesday.  The other day he asked me if Jesus would show him how to climb trees one day in heaven.  He wanted to know if he would be able to drive a big truck around heaven and he wanted to know if he would have a house with a backyard to play in heaven.  I also was able to explain to him that we will see Tommy again some day and that was comforting to him.  I'm so thankful for his little innocent perspective of the situation.  I had to remain strong for both of my kids last Wednesday and I know only God gave me the strength to hold everything together.

Thank you to all my friends and family that have been lifting my family and the whole Shearrer family up in prayer.  That is the only reason I have been able to make it through the last few days.  Please continue to pray for Sharon and her boys Wesley and Matthew.

 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33







1 comment:

  1. Amy - you are so strong, and I know that you'll get through this with the rest of the Shearrer family. We are continuing to pray for you all.
    I love you!!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete