Sunday, February 6, 2011

Visit to Amanda and Jerrod's

Last weekend my mom, Layton and I loaded up late Thursday night and headed to Houston.  I like driving at night better because Layton usually sleeps good in the car and it is just easier than trying to wake up and get off in the morning to go somewhere.  We ended up getting to Houston after midnight Thursday night and once we got there Layton was wide awake and got his second wind.  My mom and I were both exhausted and ready to go to bed and Layton was full of energy.  He was up until almost 3 that night but finally crashed out.  Friday we had a great day.  We did a little shopping at the huge Forever 21 downtown Houston while Amanda went to get her marathon number and packet at the expo and then headed to the zoo in the afternoon.  We couldn't have asked for better weather that day.  We were taking off layers because the sun was shining and it got up to 78 that day.  Layton enjoyed the zoo and we got to see so many different animals.  Laura was also able to meet us there so it was a nice treat to spend the afternoon with her too.  After we all took a nap that afternoon we headed to Jerrod's basketball game and watched Amanda sing the national anthem at the varsity game and then went out to dinner.  Unfortunately Layton woke up in the middle of the night Friday night burning up and I knew he had fever.  He was crying and just wanted to be held .  My mom, Layton and I were all sleeping in Amanda's guest bedroom so it was a little tricky trying to keep him from waking up Amanda and Jerrod and letting my mom get some sleep.  I was up a good part of the night with him.  I decided we better take him to the doctor because he never runs fever for no reason and rarely gets sick.  We finally found a pediatrician open and willing to see us near Amanda's apartment Saturday morning.  They thoroughly checked him out (even tested his blood) and said it was just a bad cold or a virus.  I was frustrated but glad that nothing serious was wrong with him.  They told us the fever should be gone in 2-3 days.  I decided I better hang out with Layton for the day at Amanda's apartment while everyone else went shopping because I knew he needed to rest and take it easy.  Layton and I both napped all afternoon and it was nice to catch up on sleep.  My mom ended up coming back for about an hour to watch him so I could run to DSW with Amanda and Lauren real quick.  Lauren was able to come in for the day and hang out with all of us and do some shopping which was fun to catch up with her.  That night we were all supposed to go to a nice dinner for Carter's birthday but I knew taking a sick baby out to dinner just wasn't a good idea so I decided to stay in.  Lauren was so nice to offer to stay in with Layton and I and went and picked us up some yummy take out from Olive Garden.  We had fun later that night playing Kinect with everyone at Amanda's apartment and enjoyed some delicious cupcakes for Carter's birthday from Crave.  Sunday Amanda was running in the Houston half marathon so my mom offered to stay in with Layton so I could go watch her run.  I've always been the one running with her so it was kind of nice to be on the other side of the fence this time especially because it rained almost the entire race.  We left her apartment at 5:30 Sunday morning and headed downtown.  Jerrod and I came prepared with our chairs and umbrellas so it wasn't too bad.  We even found a Starbucks open downtown so we enjoyed a nice hot drink while watching it rain.  We hung out between mile 12 and 13 once the race had been going on for awhile and saw Amanda pass us.  She was soaking wet.  I can honestly say I wasn't wishing I was out there running it this time.  Amanda did a great job and finished with a great time!  We headed back to Amanda's apartment and got cleaned up and then my mom and I went and picked up some burgers for everybody before we had to say our goodbyes and drive home.  Layton was still running fever on Sunday morning and was not acting like himself.  It made for a really long drive home Sunday afternoon.  He only slept an hour and cried the whole way from Seguin to San Antonio.  We finally had to stop and take a break and calm him down.  He was feeling so bad and just wanted to be held.  I was so glad once we finally made it home.  I ended up staying home with him on Monday and he slept until 11 that morning and woke up with 102 temperature so we went back to the doctor that afternoon.  He had a double ear infection at this point so I was so thankful to get the antibiotics so he would start to feel better soon.  This week has been long but he is doing so much better now.  Even though our Houston weekend didn't go exactly as planned we made the best of it and still had lots of fun with family.  Layton was a good sport considering how sick he was.  I can't wait to make another trip to Houston there is so much to do there you can never get bored and we always have fun hanging out with everyone.  Here are some pictures from our weekend.







 Checking out the elephants with mommy



















 This was at the doctor Layton was fine with them taking blood but not okay with the band-aid.  He kept saying "I want off, I want off" poor baby fell asleep right after this picture was taken.

His poor cheeks were so red because his fever was so high.

Saturday night hanging out at Amanda and Jerrod's.

Layton was fascinated with "Mr. Carwash" next to Amanda and Jerrod's apartment so Jerrod lifted him over the fence one night so he could check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment