Monday, March 21, 2011

My Laura Ingalls Dress

Jackie this post is for you girl.  I made my first dress for myself a couple of weekends ago.  It didn't turn out like the tutorial I was following online but I think it looks cute with a wide belt.  It was a learning experience for sure and I don't know if I will be using elastic thread in my bobbin anytime soon.  The night I made it we had lots of good laughs during the process with my mom, dad, Daniel and Lauren.  I was told it looked like a tent or a scrub top but whatever I kept going I was determined to finish it.  Jackie has teased me about sewing so much lately and told me I was going to be like Laura Ingalls on Little House on the Prairie before too long and only make my own clothes ha ha.  Yeah right this girl loves to shop too much and not only for fabric.  So here are some pictures of my modern Laura Ingalls dress :)  If any of you are brave enough to try to make one here is the tutorial I was trying to follow.

http://prudentbaby.com It is called the Most Flattering Shirt Dress under the Hot Mess Mommy category

I actually emailed the women that wrote the tutorial on Prudent baby and they told me my tension probably was not correct and that sewing with elastic thread is really tricky.  My mom thought I was crazy for trying but I still wanted to give it a shot.  I also should have chosen a lighter weight fabric instead of the cotton that I chose so lessons learned for sure. 






1 comment:

  1. YAYYYYY!!! I'm so excited to finally see this dress. Not bad! I think it's really cute, especially with the belt. Did you get my long email yesterday?!?

    ReplyDelete