Tuesday, June 15, 2010

To my sweet baby. . . .

Dear Layton:

Tonight I put you to bed for the last time as an 11 month old baby. I held you just a little longer than normal because I was wishing I could freeze time. Tomorrow you will be a one year old. Wow! I knew the day would come eventually but I’m not quite ready to say I have a one year old. It’s impossible for me to think about the past year and not get tears in my eyes because you have grown so much. Your daddy and I have had so much fun watching you change and grow. You amaze us everyday as you are figuring out the world around you. You have changed our lives in so many ways and we love every minute of being your mommy and daddy.

When we brought you home from the hospital I was overwhelmed with how fast the time was passing, I just wanted to take it all in. I was almost a little obsessive about taking pictures and trying to enjoy every minute even though I was so sleep deprived. Your daddy was such a big help keeping me grounded and always willing to watch you so I could have a moment to myself. Although at the beginning it was hard to even nap because I didn’t want to miss anything. I remember our first twelve weeks together and how much fun it was getting to know you and just being with you all the time. I will never forget the first time you took a “long” nap in your swing you slept for three hours. I was tempted to wake you up because I missed your sweet smiling face. Looking back it seems silly now but that is how I felt because I knew I only had a few more weeks before I had to go back to work.

I knew the first 12 months would fly by and be filled with hundreds and thousands of precious moments that I would want to etch in my mind forever. I felt like I truly savored every moment of your babyhood. Once I went back to work it was so hard being away from you all day but it made me appreciate the time we did have together so much more. I know all of your grandmas and Aunt Lauren have enjoyed spending time with you and taking care of you while mommy is working.

It has been a year filled with precious moments that I will never forget and so many “firsts” for you. If I sit and close my eyes, I can replay all of the highlights. I remember the first glimpse I got of your sweet face, the nurses were making a big deal about your golden blond hair, introducing you to all of our family & friends, bringing you home, the way your newborn head smelt, the sleepless nights when we were both trying to figure out how the whole nursing thing worked, your first smiles, rolling over, how big you looked when you learned to sit up by yourself, your first word “dada”, learning to play patty cake by yourself, your first laugh, your first Christmas, the weeks and weeks of you rocking back and forth on all fours even in the middle of the night trying to crawl and then finally crawling, when you learned to pull yourself to a standing position, the first time you stood by yourself you were so proud, watching you dance to any music, the first time that you waved, the first time that you gave me a big slobbery baby kiss, your first steps, your first big word “tractor” and so many moments in between. My, how far you have come in just 12 short months! I absolutely love the baby stage I know some moms do not enjoy it but I seriously wish it would never end. You are such a cuddly baby and I love that about you. The more active you become your cuddles are less often but when you are sleepy you still love rocking with mama. Today marks the end of a wonderful chapter, but is only the very beginning of a very long story. You are more precious to me than you will ever know. I’m so thankful the Lord chose us to be your parents! You are truly a gift from Him. I love you more today than I did yesterday, but not as much as I will tomorrow! Happy first birthday Layton!

In honor of the past 12 months, here are 12 things about our little man that make him so special:


1.) Layton loves to be the center of attention all the time. He knows how to show off and will clap and laugh really loud if we aren’t giving him the attention he wants. He is such a little ham!

2.) He gives us hugs, kisses, and pats us on the back---super sweet!

3.) He loves his “Papa” When we see my dad he reaches for him and gets so excited. He can also point him out in a picture now too.

4.) His favorite word right now is “tactor” He will stand at the door and whine now once we bring him inside from sitting on the “tactor” which is actually the lawnmower. That is always the first thing that comes out of his mouth in the morning.

5.) He has learned how to make the engine noises and now everything with wheels or a steering wheel that he sees he starts making his noises. He is such a boy.

6.) Layton is fearless. We caught him trying to climb on the coffee table before he could even walk. He will just leap off the couch if you aren’t watching him close enough.

7.) He laughs so hard when we tickle him. He can also say “tickle tickle tickle” but it sounds more like “tika tika tika.”

8.) Layton has four teeth and has since he was 9 months old. I’m surprised at how much he can eat with those four little teeth though.

9.) He loves cheese and now will stand at the refrigerator and say “cheez.” Any time I’m holding him and I open the refrigerator he reaches for the drawer where we keep it.

10.) Layton is a great sleeper. He goes to bed around 9 and sleeps until 8. He is a light sleeper when it comes to nap-time though. He is still taking 2 naps a day for about an hour and a half.

11.) Layton loves spending time with his cousins Mason and Cooper. He lights up when he sees them.

12.) Layton is a great eater. He will eat any kind of vegetable or fruit we give him. I’m not sure how long it will last so I’m trying to fill him up with lots of healthy food while he will still eat it.

I love this quote from Elizabeth Stone: "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body"

Every good and perfect gift is from above. James 1:17

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:13-14

I love you sweet baby!

Mommy



2 comments:

  1. Oh, Amy, this is just beautiful! Congratulations on your first year as a Mommy, and Clifton's first year as a Daddy. It's been the fastest year of your life, hasn't it?Layton is just precious.....such a blessing to so many people. I have enjoyed checking in to your blog to see how you three are doing. He is the cutest thing! I love his big grin and would love to hear him talk. We will be coming your way in early July and I can't wait to see those boys!
    Keep up the good blogging work!
    Love,
    Cousin Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that someone is reading along. Thanks for the comments and we can't wait to see y'all either and for you to meet the boys. They are a handful these days but so entertaining.

    ReplyDelete